The contest is open to photographers from around the world ages 8 and over. Contestants must be able to prepare digital files according to the guidelines below, fill out an online entry form which includes uploading the photograph files, and pay an entry fee of $15 per photo. Contestants must also have access to a valid email address for communication with contest officials.
Divisions and Categories
Divisions: Prizes will be awarded in two divisions:
- Adult: age 18 or older, or out of high school
- Youth: ages 8 to 18, or still in high school
- Naturally Funny: Jamestown, New York, is the birthplace of Lucille Ball and home to the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Museum and the National Comedy Center. In tribute to our First Lady of Comedy, one of the 2019 Nature Photography Contest categories is Naturally Funny: Wildlife photos that make us smile or laugh.
- Field Guide Worthy: Jamestown is also the birthplace of Roger Tory Peterson and home of the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History. In honor of the premier naturalist of the 20th Century and the more than 50 Peterson Field Guides, the second contest category is Field Guide Worthy: Photos that could be used for identification in a field guide.
- Naturally Beautiful: The third category is an opportunity to let the world see where you think of as home. Naturally Beautiful: Show us the beautiful landscapes where you live.
Prizes & Recognitions
- Six $200 Winners - 1 in each category for each division.
- 12 Finalists will be selected (6 youth, 6 adult)
- Winners' and finalists' photographs will be printed and displayed at the 3rd on 3rd Gallery in Jamestown, New York, for approximately one month during the August 2019 Lucille Ball Comedy Festival.
- Winners' and finalists' photographs will also be posted on this website. Winning photographers will receive cash prizes.
- Winners will be named in a news release that is widely distributed, including to their local media when known.
A Note on Prize Money: Winners will receive prizes as a check in U.S. dollars sent by U.S. Mail.
Files must be in JPG format. Any aspect ratio is acceptable, but please size the file so that the longest dimension is 1500 pixels and set the quality to “high.”
In order to ensure anonymous judging, please include
no signatures or watermarks that would reveal the
name of the photographer on the photo itself.
Filenames should be constructed as follows:
D = Division (A for Adult or Y for Youth)
Title = title of photograph (for example, Green Frog)
Photographer = your initials FL (first last).
Example: The photo pictured above the Copyright section would have the following filename:
Y-Frog in Pond-SK.jpg
The photographer retains full copyright to his or her images. However, participation in the contest requires the contestant to give Audubon Community Nature Center (ACNC) permission to use the photographs without compensation on the Contest Website as well as on other ACNC websites and in news releases which may appear in print or on third party websites for the purpose of publicizing the contest. ACNC will always include the photographer's name when using a photograph for any purpose.